By Evil Jenji
Let’s remember all the episodes of the first season of Orange is the New Black? There are some curiosities that not even the most passionate fans know. I’ll give you an example, review the first appearance of actress Laura Gómez with her Diablo! If you keep an eye out, the actor is another. During the entire series Diablo was played by Miguel Izaguirre, but in the first season he was
Jose Baez. At the end of this post I put a photo of the two for you to see. This is just one of the curiosity. Let’s travel back in time to revisit the first season and have the feeling of seeing everything as if it were the first time!
OITNB – Watching the first season like it’s the first time
“I Wasn’t Ready” – Episode 1 season 1
- Curiosities Jason Biggs character says “I tell you everything; The web-cam horror, the penis shaving incident…” This is a reference to Biggs’ character Jim from the American Pie franchise.
- One of the most incredible curiosities is discovering that at the beginning, the idea was for Piper to have two brothers. They set the stage for this by including an extra person in the family photo. But this character was never developed.
- Bloopers – When Piper goes to the bathroom after getting out of bed with Larry her engagement ring is on/off between shots.
“Tit Punch” – Episode 2 season 1
- curiosities – Uzo Aduba (Crazy Eyes)’s character was only meant to appear in the first three episodes. After seeing her performances, the writers and producers made her a recurring character.
- Bloopers – During a flashback scene with Red, a bus can briefly be seen promoting 2 Broke Girls. While it’s not clear exactly when the scene takes place, it’s certainly before 2011, when the sitcom first aired.
“Lesbian Request Denied” – 3 episode season 1
- Curiosities – Laverne Cox’s (Sophia) real-life twin brother, M. Lamar, played her male self before her transition in the flashback sequence.
- Bloopers – When Healy talks to Chapman about “Crazy Eyes'” bunk request, the Corgi bobblehead is visible on his desk, complete with the head that Sophia swallowed earlier. In fact, just before Chapman arrives at his office, Healy can be seen ordering a replacement bobblehead online.
Imaginary Enemies” – episode 4 season 1
- Curiosities – Nicky (Natasha Lyonne) was originally supposed to be in six episodes only.
- Quote Alex Vause: I don’t even know anymore. I used to. I had grand plans. Now, I can’t even get past the swirling darkness in my brain long enough to land on anything.
“The Chickening” – episode 5 season 1
- The joke ending in the punchline “he’s not an eggplant, he’s retarded” is delivered by three different characters in three different episodes. This is the second time the punchline was used. The first was by Red (Kate Mulgrew) in episode 1.2, Tit Punch (2013). The next was by Nicky (Natasha Lyonne) in 1.13, Can’t Fix Crazy (2013).
- Blooper – -Chapman asks Murphy what she’s making and Murphy responds that she’s knitting. She’s not knitting, she’s crocheting using a crochet hook which is shown. (Knitting uses two knitting needles)
- Quote – Galina ‘Red’ Reznikov: All I wanted was to eat the chicken that was smarter than all the other chickens to absorb its power. And to make a nice Kiev.
“WAC Pack” – episode 6 season 1
- The scar Nichols has is not make up; it’s actor Natasha Lyonne”s own from when she had open heart surgery.
- Quote Piper Chapman: Not every Hispanic person wants the same thing.Lorna Morello: Sure, they do. They all want to come to America.
“Blood Donut” – episode 7 season 1
- The beer Larry (Jason Biggs ) is drinking while talking to the bartender in “Blood Donut” is a beer from a small craft brewery in the southern tier region of Western New York, right outside Jamestown, called Southern Tier Brewing Company. He was drinking their most well known beer, their IPA.
- (at around 53 mins) After Flores kicks the bathroom door, the camera pans down the broken door and there is a large spring taped to the cubicle wall to protect the wall from the door.
- George ‘Pornstache’ Mendez: Give you 5%.Galina ‘Red’ Reznikov: What am I supposed to do with 5%? Burn it for heat?Galina ‘Red’ Reznikov: My commissary maxes out at $300. And I got all the toothpaste I need.George ‘Pornstache’ Mendez: 10% final offer.Galina ‘Red’ Reznikov: I… don’t do that shit!George ‘Pornstache’ Mendez: This shit, that shit, blue shit, bat shit! It doesn’t matter what you do. It’s the doing that makes you dirty.
“Moscow Mule”- episode 8 season 1
- When Nicole speaks to Tricia (Madeline Brewer), she makes a joke about quoting The Exorcist (1973). In Scary Movie 2 (2001); Natasha Lyonne did play the child receiving an exorcism in a send-up of the same scene.
- Alex Vause: Like you aren’t accountable for anything that ever happens in your life, ever.Piper Chapman: Am I supposed to tell them that I made you get into the dryer?Alex Vause: No, I want you to get me out. Read that manual, unjam the door, step the fuck up! Wait, Piper, where are you going?Piper Chapman: I’m just gonna go…Alex Vause: No! Don’t you go! Don’t you fucking leave me.Piper Chapman: OkayAlex Vause: Okay, What?Piper Chapman: I’m here
“Fucksgiving” – episode 9 season 1
- Pornstache (Pablo Schreiber) calls one of the women in the kitchen “Silent Bob”. It’s a reference to Kevin Smith‘s character in his movies who rarely speaks.
- When Healy says, “Happy Thanksgiving, Piper,” before leaving the SHU, the reflection in the window shows Piper turning around and walking away. In the next shot, Piper is still facing the window.
- Quotes – Tiffany ‘Pennsyltucky’ Doggett: She a lesbian. They lesbianing together.
Bora Bora Bora – episode 10 season 1
- When Larry (Jason Biggs) meets Piper (Taylor Schilling) for the first time at Polly (Maria Dizzia)’s house, he is watching Weeds (2005). Jenji Kohan, creator, writer and producer of Orange Is the New Black (2013), was also the creator, writer and producer of Weeds (2005).
- Piper Chapman: You know I could tell you a lot of things that would scare you, Dina. I could tell you that I’m going to make you my prison bitch. I could tell you that I’m going to make you my house mouse, that I will have sex with you even if we don’t have an emotional connection; that I’m going to do to you what the spring does with cherry trees but in a prison way. Pablo Neruda. But why bother? You’re too tough, right. Yeah, I know how easy it is to convince yourself that you’re something you’re not. I mean you could do that on the outside. You can just keep moving, keep yourself so busy you don’t have to face who you really are. But you’re weak.Dina: Back the fuck off me.Piper Chapman: I’m like you Dina. I’m weak too. I can’t get through this without somebody to touch, without somebody to love. Is that because sex numbs the pain or is it because I’m some evil fuck monster? I don’t know. But I do know that I was somebody before I came in here. I was somebody with a life that I chose for myself and now, now it’s just about getting through the day without crying. And I’m scared. I’m still scared. I’m scared that I’m not myself in here and I’m scared that I am. Other people aren’t the scariest part of prison Dina. It’s coming face-to-face with who you really are. because once you’re behind these walls there’s no where to run, even if you could run. The truth catches up with you in here Dina and it’s the truth that’s going to make you her bitch.
MORE ABOUT ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
- Interview with one of the Inmates of the OITNB Opening!
- What Actress Danielle Brooks Think About Taystee On OITNB?
- I Got Addicted to Orange is the New Black in Season Five
- Orange is the New Black Season 1 Trivia. Did you Know This?
- After All, When Are We Going to See OITNB Together Again?
Tall Men with Feelings” – episode 11 season 1
- There’s a scene where Mendez (Pablo Schreiber) and Bennett (Matt McGorry) have a drink after work. The scene was shot at a bar called “The Hotel” in Pearl River New York.
- Piper Chapman: Why do you always feel so inevitable to me?Alex Vause: I heart you.Piper Chapman: You heart me? What is that? Is that like “I love you” for pussies?Alex Vause: Say “pussy” again.Piper Chapman: I heart you, too.
“Fool Me Once” – episode 12 season 1
- The scar seen on Nicky is a real scar from the heart surgery Natasha Lyonne had in 2012.
- Piper Chapman: I believe in science. I believe in evolution. I believe in Nate Silver and Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Christopher Hitchens. Although I do admit he could be a kind of an asshole. I cannot get behind some supreme being who weighs in on the Tony Awards while a million people get whacked with machetes. I don’t believe a billion Indians are going to hell. I don’t think we get cancer to learn life lessons, and I don’t believe that people die young because God needs another angel. I think it’s just bullshit, and on some level, I think we all know that, I mean, don’t you?… Look I understand that religion makes it easier to deal with all of the random shitty things that happen to us. And I wish I could get on that ride, I’m sure I would be happier. But I can’t . Feeling aren’t enough. I need it to be real
“Can’t Fix Crazy” – episode 13 season 1
- Piper Chapman: Uh, so what’s an Amalekite?Cindy Hayes: Amalekite? Oh they real baddies in the Bible, attacking everybody, preying on the weak and shit, a war tribe! Ooh, in Samuel, God told Saul to kill ’em all! Uh! Utterly destroy them motherfuckers, that what God say. Even the babies. Even the cows. They so bad they *cows* had to die!Tasha ‘Taystee’ Jefferson: Say anything about rats?Cindy Hayes: Naw. Uh um.Piper Chapman: Okay. This is nuts.Cindy Hayes: It is.