Do you remember watching the fifth season of Orange is the New Black? It was the first time I watched OITNB since the season was released. It was the year I moved to another city, lost my mother and my job. A Chaos! It was in 2017, I remember my best moments were watching the show. Forget about all the problems, focus on Litchfield! it was two intense days watching the fifth season, almost the same time as the entire season! Jenji Kohan said it’s the one she likes the least, because it looked like it was written by a fandom. HAHAHA I don’t agree with her! It was simply impossible to walk away from the television before the end. The season was shot in 6 months, and in fiction, it takes only 72 hours. I separated for you some curiosities that I found in the site IMDb is the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. There is also an interview with part of the cast talking about the launch of the fifth season. I love this kind of content, I hope you do too. Season five was special to me.
Facts about the fifth season of Orange is the New Black
Season 5 – episode 1 “Riot FOMO”
- This episode reveals that Piper (Taylor Schilling) has three months remaining on her sentence. Assuming Piper wasn’t sentenced with additional time for committing perjury in episode 2.1, Thirsty Bird (2014), this means the previous four seasons have taken place over the course of a year.
- This episode picks up immediately following the end of season 4, but Gloria’s hair is noticeably longer and styled differently.
Season 5 – episode 2 “Fuck, Marry, Frieda”
- Quote Galina ‘Red’ Reznikov: Real Russians have no proverbs. We have vodka and misery. Wait. That was a proverb.
Season 5 – episode 3 “Pissters””
- The “Hundred Flowers” Mei Chang (Lori Tan Chinn) refers to was a campaign in communist China that started in May of 1956. Also known as The Hundred Flowers Movement, the idea was initiated to promote greater freedom and thought of speech, even criticism of communist policies by noncommunist intellectuals, by lifting restrictions imposed on Chinese citizens. Mao Zedong began the campaign with “Let a hundred flowers bloom, and a hundred schools of thought contend”.
- In the end of Episode 3 of Season 5, Pennsatucky is setting up alarms on a smart phone. It cuts to her setting it to 12:10, however, the next cut shows her setting it at 12:10 again, as well as showing the previous take where she put 12:10 in the alarm.
- Quote Cindy Hayes: Damn, it’s like Black Friday in here.Janae Watson: Those sales are racist as shit.
Season 5 – episode 4 “Litchfield’s Got Talent”
- The actor who plays Joe Caputo on the show, Nick Sandow, directed this episode.
- Quote Anita DeMarco: I have Morton’s neuroma.Judy King: Yeah, well, I probably have Wolfgang Puck’s herpes, but I don’t go around announcing it.
Season 5 – episode 5 “Sing It, White Effie”
- Inspiration for Janae (Vicky Jeudy)’s back story when she cries at the all white production of ‘Dreamgirls’ came from a mostly white production of ‘The Wiz’ at Jenji Kohan‘s daughter’s summer camp.
- Quote Alison Abdullah: We get thrown into the SHU arbitrarily. We’re denied proper health care, *dental*. I saw a girl with a tooth gone septic, and they *still* didn’t take her to the doctor.Tasha ‘Taystee’ Jefferson: We get beat for no reason. We get cavity searched for no reason. We stuffed four in a bunk like we factory chickens. We can’t get clean half the time ‘coz there ain’t enough bathrooms. We fed slop. We don’t get paid for our labor. We denied education. We denied the chance to breastfeed our babies. We’re denied basic humanity.[pause]Tasha ‘Taystee’ Jefferson: And we get killed in the cafeteria for no reason.
MORE ABOUT ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
- 10 Years of OITNB – What Can We Expect From This Anniversary?
- Interview with one of the Inmates of the OITNB Opening!
- What Actress Danielle Brooks Think About Taystee On OITNB?
- I Got Addicted to Orange is the New Black in Season Five
- Orange is the New Black Season 1 Trivia. Did you Know This?
Season 5 – episode 6 “Flaming Hot Cheetos, Literally”
- In a flashback, Taystee and Poussey meet for the first time in the library on Taystee’s second day while Poussey is working in the library, but in the first season, Poussey is learning how to shelves books from Taystee, who clearly runs the library. In fact, in season 1 episode 8, Poussey thanks Taystee for showing her the ropes and getting her assigned to the library and she only takes over running the library after Taystee gets paroled.
Season 5 – episode 7 “Full Bush, Half Snickers”
- Soso (Kimiko Glenn) References Maya Lin and the memorial she designed for inspiration. Kimiko Glenn has also portrayed Maya Lin in a segment on Drunk history, in an episode about Underdogs.
- Quote Lorna Morello: Oh, you don’t know my Vinnie.Dayanara Diaz: I don’t have to. They’re all the same. As soon as shit gets real, they run. Even if they only have one fucking leg.
Season 5 – episode 8 “Tied to the Tracks”
- The actress portraying Dayanara (Dascha Polanco) in the flashback is Polanco’s own daughter, Dasany Kristal Gonzalez.
- Maria tells Pidge and Ouija that her extra time (three to five years recommended by Piscatella in season four) never went through and she could get home to her daughter while she is “still pissing in diapers” but in season two she says her original sentence was six years, and she gave birth within the first few months of her sentence, so she would have to be incredibly pessimistic about her daughter’s development to believe she would still be in diapers when she’s almost six.
- Quote 14 Year Old Dayanara: Puerto Rican guys don’t like rubbers.Claire: Well, according to my sister, neither do the Irish, the Italians, plain white dudes, black dudes, French dudes, Koreans…14 Year Old Dayanara: Your sister real slutty?Claire: Nah. She works at the free clinic.
Season 5 – episode 9 “The Tightening”
- In the Season Two finale “We Have Manners. We’re Polite.”, Red (Kate Mulgrew) mentions to Sister Ingalls (Beth Fowler) that “before Dimitri, there was this man named Pavel. Even talking about him now… there’s a tightening.”
- Quote Suzanne ‘Crazy Eyes’ Warren: They said… I’m crazy.Lorna Morello: You wanna know what I think, Suzanne? I think crazy is just a word people invented to keep the extra-interesting people down.Suzanne ‘Crazy Eyes’ Warren: Well, Mommy says there are as many shades of different as there are of people.Lorna Morello: Well, I wish I was told that when I was growing up.
Season 5 – episode 10 The Reverse Midas Touch”
- The mention on the news of the recently exonerated “Cannibal Cop” puts the timeline for this season around July 2014.
- Quote – Piscatella takes the tape off of Boo’s mouth]Big Boo: Thankyou. Asshole!Nicky Nichols: I guess not all lesbians are good with their tongue, huh?
Season 5 – episode 11 “Breaking the Fiberboard Ceiling”
- This is the first episode Lourdes (Olga Merediz) is heard speaking in English.
- Quote Linda Ferguson: I had to hide in the poo to escape a Mexican mongoloid.Big Boo: Wow! I don’t even know which part of that is the most offensive. Impressive!
Season 5 – episode 12 “Tattoo You”
- Larry Bloom (Jason Biggs) returns via flashback in this episode, in his first appearance since Season 2.
- In Season 7, “Minority Deport”, when Maritza is at risked of being deported, Flaca mentions that Maritza has never even been to Colombia. However, in Season 5, “Tattoo You”, Maritza mentions a vacation she took with her cousin in Bucaramanga. Bucaramanga is a city in Colombia.
Season 5 – episode 13 “Storm-y Weather”
- When the guards do a head count, the mistakenly say there are 10 inmates unaccounted for. There are 10 in the pool, but Pennsatucky and Mei escape through the fence. Even if Linda, who’s not an inmate was counted, there would still be 11 missing.
OITNB – While researching for this post I found out that Lea DeLaria could be a guard!
Lea DeLaria played Big Boo in the Netflix series, but wasn’t originally set to play the inmate according to HuffPost. Boo may not have ranked among OINTB‘s most intelligent characters, but fans remember her larger-than-life personality and her sometimes wicked ways. What some might not know, however, is that Boo wasn’t originally a part of the show.
DeLaria first auditioned for one of the show’s correctional officers, a much smaller role, and then for the part of Anita DeMarco, but failed to secure either. DeLaria was dismayed, but the story ultimately has a happy ending, as the show’s creators loved her so much they wrote the part of Big Boo especially for her. DeLaria was iconic in OITNB, and fans would have missed out on her rapier wit and dark humor.
Orange is the New Black always surprises me!